Saturday 6 December 2014

Don't Die Wondering

Recently at the Iceland Noir festival in Reykjavik I was approached by a young lady who had a question for me. Luckily it had nothing to do with books. She had been thinking about moving to Denmark and wanted my advice. Yeah, I was a little surprised too.

She had overheard me telling someone about my relocation to Iceland and was curious. What she wanted to know was whether she should make her move or not. Some of her friends had been telling her that it was a big risk and now she was having second thoughts.

One thing I've learned in life is that with the exception of a very, very small number of people (normally only one or two at any given time) you should never listen to what others think you should do with your life and that's what I told her.

I said she would never regret any of the things she did with her life, only the things she didn't do. Recent events in my life have proved to me beyond the shadow of any doubt that I was right. Never die wondering. No matter the perceived risk or potential cost of failure find out one way or another. It will make you a better person.

Listen carefully to your instincts.

They are never wrong. If you fuck up, chances are you will learn something, perhaps even something that will change your life forever. If you don't fuck up you will change your life too and either way it will be for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment